After recently revamping our ineedhits email signature, I thought I’d write a quick post to remind everyone about the importance of keeping your email signature up to date!
An email signature is basically just a standard way of signing off all your emails. When used correctly, an optimized signature can have many benefits such as:
- Building trust with your prospects – A good looking email signature will make your business look more professional.
- Increase traffic to your site – Including links to your site will encourage repeat visits and may attract new visitors when your email is forwarded.
- An invitation to interact with your business – You can also include links to a special event/conference or even encourage readers to signup for your newsletter.
So let’s take a look at how to build a solid email signature. Besides the obvious elements (Name, Title and Company) here are a few additional items you should consider adding:
- Company Address – Increases trust/credibility
- Company Logo – Trust/credibility
- Phone Number – An alternative way to contact you in case email is down
- Website URL – Reminds readers to visit your site
- Social Media Links – Get readers to interact with your business through other popular sites
- Tagline – This can be an organizational tag line or a link to a specific event/campaign etc.
I’m not suggesting that you include all of the above elements (unless you want a very long and crowded signature) so have a play with the layout and see what works best for your business.
I should also point out that it’s useful to have a couple of variations of your signature, one for HTML based email and one for text only. Happy emailing!