It’s been almost a month since Google announced their new remarketing feature in Google AdWords which is designed to target visitors who have already shown an interest in your site.
Remarketing (which is also known as retargeting) is a method of AdWords advertising which is delivered to consumers based on previous internet actions that did not result in a conversion on your site.
Here’s an example of how it works:
- Someone visits your website looking for a hotel.
- They select the luxury hotels category, but decide the price is too high to purchase at the time.
- This user is then recognised across Google’s content network, and is shown text or image ads for your hotel website on other sites in the Google content network.
- This helps you target customers who are highly receptive to your ads and are interested in what you have to offer.
What targeting options are available?
There are various targeting levels within remarketing which allow you to target anyone who has visited your site, right through to those who have already purchased from you. Here are some examples:
- All visitors – Create a remarketing list of everyone who has previously visited your home page.
- Subscribers – Create a list targeting customers who have signed up to your newsletter or taken some further action on your website.
- Abandoned shopping carts – Target customers who almost converted to a sale but decided to abandon your shopping cart checkout process.
- Cross-sell – Target users who have previously purchased other products from your website.
How to enable remarketing in AdWords
To setup a remarketing campaign, you’ll need to enable the “Audiences” tab in Google AdWords.
From here you can use Google’s help articles to create lists and get your campaign started.
Before jumping head first into remarketing, I would recommend coming up with a plan of who you want to target and what offers you will present to them. You may have very different campaigns for those who have visited your homepage, compared to those who have abandoned your shopping cart!