Finally, some good news for Yahoo! They have snagged first place for mobile search in a benchmark study for March 2009.
Gomez, Inc. and dotMobi joined together to rate mobile sites across several areas.
The criteria and ranking methodology used included the following benchmarks:
- Discoverability – how readily a consumer can find the mobile website using different URLs.
- Readiness – how well the mobile website renders on popular mobile devices.
- Availability – the percentage of successful transactions or the availability of a Web page.
- Response time – how long each page takes to download and the duration of an entire transaction.
- Consistency – how well the mobile website performs on different mobile carriers, in different geographies and time frames.
Yahoo! came out on top in discoverability and readiness. Some of the other top performing companies in other categories included Bank of America and AirTran.
Here is a breakdown of the results for the search category:
Yahoo! has outlined that oneSearch is the reason behind their mobile search success with even more enhancements on the way.
This is quite a triumph for Yahoo! – even if they can’t manage to challenge Google in the normal search market; at least they are making headway in mobile search.