People are watching hundreds of millions of videos a day on video sharing websites like YouTube. In fact, every minute, around ten hours of video is uploaded to YouTube alone. Online video has exploded recently and with Google’s universal search, it’s now another way your business can reach potential new customers.
If you’ve got a short advertisement, testimonial or any other type of video there are a number of ways you should be promoting the video online. In this post I’ll cover off some simple video SEO tips to get your content out there.
There are a growing number of video sharing websites which you should submit your videos to. I’ve included a short list of my top 10 which should be on your hit list:
- Google Video
- Yahoo! Video
- Daily Motion
Video SEO: Tagging, Linking etc.
Aside from submission, there are also a number of other techniques you can use to maximize your video exposure. These include:
- Title Optimization – Potentially the most important and easiest way to optimize your video is to give it a catchy title. Instead of “Example Company Advertisement” try writing an interesting title that includes key phrases related to your product or brand.
- Tag it up – Most video sharing sites offer a keyword or tags section. This is chance to optimize the video for your most important phrases, so don’t miss out!
- Description – Again, similar to the tags, write a detailed description of the video targeting your major key phrases.
- Inbound Linking – Another tip often overlooked is making sure you link back to your website or product page. Some sites have a dedicated section for this; while for others you may have to include the link in the description. If this is the case, make sure to include the URL early on so that it shows in the first few lines of the description before its truncated.
- Thumbnail Optimization – If you’re able to select a thumbnail for your video, make sure to choose something that’s going to draw users in. An easy way to do this is try and include images of people if possible.
- Commenting – If users comment about your product or brand, make sure to respond so you can answer their questions and lead them to your website if they’re lost
Now there are many more advanced video marketing techniques, but hopefully this list should give you the foundation to increase your video exposure online. If you’ve got any other suggestions or comments, feel free to leave them below!