We told you recently the news of Google banning BeatThatQuote.com from its search results only 24 hours after buying it. Well the good news for the site is that the ban has now been lifted.
Actually, the site has even been gifted the top spot in the Google SERP’s (which you will see from the image below).
So what’s the big deal about this news?
Remember the video recently from Google’s Matt Cutts explaining how Google decides on how and when it will remove a search ranking penalty for a site?
Here is how Matt explained it:
- Manual penalties would be imposed on a site when reports submitted to Google for things like off topic porn etc. and the site would be “timed out” for a specific period and it would not be crawled by the Google spider.
- Algorithmic penalties would be imposed as classifiers for things like content spam, keyword stuffing, cloaking, link redirects and so on. While algorithmic penalties will be lifted once the site owners remove the spam content manual penalties would be lifted only when the “time out period” would finish.
This raises the question on the length of “time out” for BeatThatQuote.com – can we assume that most sites will only be banned for around 2 weeks or does the fact that BeatThatQuote.com is a Google owned site allow it to get special privileges?
This also poses a question that the ‘real’ formula to reach the top position of Google’s SERPs goes something like:
- Use black hated SEO techniques
- Get ranked and grow the business a bit
- Get acquired by Google
- Get penalized for few days
- Make a comeback on Google and rule the SERPs
What do you think – is BeatThatQuote.com at an advantage by being a Google-owned site? Feel free to share your thoughts below.